Friday, September 28, 2007

On forward motion

First of all, I'd like to apologize for my absence, but I have many good reasons for it including this:
What is that? THAT, my friends is this: 826michigan's NEW DOWNTOWN LOCATION! That's right, we have been cooking up something wonderful all summer and couldn't tell anyone until just now. We're breathless and ecstatic. It's by the library and the bus station. Kids from neighboring towns, villages, communal pods can actually get on a bus line that will actually get to us. It's brilliant. This is very, very, very good.

I am up to running 3.3-3.5 miles now. Yes, that's right, more than 5k. Last night I graduated running class, and it was shockingly more emotional than I ever imagined. A group of us decided to continue on--me, continuing running. These people...they're so supportive. And they're running along side me Sunday.

Maybe I'm unnaturally feel-y right now, maybe I haven't had enough sleep (in weeks), but honestly this experience has been much more than one foot in front of the other. So much so that I am choked up writing about it. I can't begin to tell you what it's like to know that it's not just my (awesome) work family who is running with me, it's my new friends, my 826 friends, my Leadership A2 friends, my old but wonderful friends. People ask me all the time, "How's the running going?" You have no idea how much that means to me. This is something I'm so proud of, and it's not because I made it to 3 miles. There is a warmth, and inexplicable warmth. I don't know how I lived without it.

Tonight we're carbing up at Noodles. Tomorrow it's football. Then Sunday I'll be there, with my new running family, at the start and at the finish line. I'll post pictures as soon as I have them.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for your donations to 826michigan. And thank you for all your personal support. It's been incredible, this, and I'll never in my entire life forget my first big run.

No comments: