Monday, August 13, 2007

I would probably run a lot faster if that giant boulder was rolling toward me.

When I was a kid I used to go to Julie's house before and after school. Both of my parents worked and so Julie's house was kind of like my daycare, latchkey, and second family. We quarreled incessantly like sisters, and as we matured we weathered each other's growing pains like sisters. But she wasn't the only member of the household. Julie had an older brother, and he treated me like a sister as well...he tortured me.

There were many, many methods by which he doled out the misfortune, but the one that I thought of tonight was particularly excruciating. He wouldn't let us play his Indiana Jones game on the Atari. Oh how badly we wanted to be Indy! But NOOOOOOO we could play any game but that one. Any game but the one with cool whips, the flute, the snakes...and tsetse flies.

Are you wondering yet what the point of all this is? The point is this: I think I swallowed 800 tsetse flies tonight. I'm pretty sure that's what they were. They may have been gnats, but I'm going with swarms of poisonous insects exploited by Steven Spielberg.



Not tasty

But I'm going to stop complaining about how many bugs I batted out of my face and/or ate because something strange and wonderful happened this evening--it wasn't hot! When I started it was only 73 degrees according to my Very Accurate car thermometer. And get this, when I ran along the river it was actually chilly! What a difference. I could breathe to the bottom of my lungs, I ran faster and better. I hit the first mile in 10:05! TEN MINUTES. I know this isn't anything to most people, but I am obviously very unique quite possibly the slowest runner on the planet. These legs were built for peasantry--carrying wash up hills and toting three kids while skinning dinner and the like. Slight I am not. Though it felt so great tonight, not like Saturday.

Saturday...ugh. One of the things I'm really concerned about with this race is the fact that it's run in the morning. I would much, much, MUCH rather run it at midnight than try to get up and exert myself beyond the normal stumbling into the shower and petting the cat while she enjoys "breakfast." Mornings are my archenemy and so it really does scare me that I am doing all this training in the cool evening. Whenever I attempted to use my elliptical in the morning I went so much slower and got winded tens of minutes quicker. But on Saturday I gave it a go in the day. Yes, I realize day is not morning, but cut me some slack--I'm trying. And try I did, but the sun made the whole thing misery. I was terribly crampy and fatigued from the dehydration...and discouraged.


I can't even pretend that's "glistening." It's simply a lot of sweat.



Let's not dwell on that, though. Tonight was AWESOME:

Saturday's tally:
23:10 minutes running (meh)
I keep forgetting to time the walking

Tonight's tally:
26 minutes running
see above note about walking
awful abdominal and leg band exercises

hahaha, first foray into video:




No comments: