Thursday, August 23, 2007

Maybe if I tried harder I *could* stop the rain by complaining

You know those movies where someone brainwashes someone else, and the brainwasher has a "trigger" for the brainwashee to carry out the evil plan? The only movie that comes to mind right now is Zoolander and the "Relax" song, but I know there are more movies like that. Think iconic, like what "Stuck in the Middle With You" is to Reservoir Dogs. Those songs that are harmless but associated with gruesome madmen.

My trigger is "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" and it's been stuck in my head for days and days, for obvious reasons

Wikipedia tells me this was the #1 song on the Billboard charts in 1970. While that is most likely true, I think the more pertinent bit of information, for this blog, is that it seems to cause me to have near-psychotic episodes dating back to my early childhood, when I had no idea there was anything but country music and polka. Thanks, Mom and Dad, by the way. I don't know if it's the trumpet or the ukelele (?) but I see red when this song comes on. FOR NO LOGICAL REASON. I am fairly certain that I was hypnotized and something happened to the evil mastermind because I am never commanded to actually do anything, I just sit there all angry while some stupid Burt Bacharach song plays.

Anyway, it won't. stop. raining. I could probably run while it sprinkles, under normal circumstances, but it is also 40 million degrees out. It is no joke that "it's a sauna out there." Every time I stepped out of my car last night my sunglasses fogged. Every piece of paper that is not in air conditioning is warped and curled. Misery.

I really don't know what to do about the training because there is just no good answer. The most obvious solution is to go run indoors, but that does get old fast. There's little other choice, I guess.

So, I am feeling like a lazy bum this week, regardless of how busy I've been. I did manage to do 35 minutes on the elliptical Monday night, but there's a little voice inside me saying, "You used to be at 45 minutes, and you know very well that it's not the same as running." I kind of fear that in just these few days I have lost progress, but I'm trying to stay positive. The weather is supposed to finally break on Friday, and then it's...oh no...SEPTEMBER?!? WHAT?

Oh wait, September means football. IT'S ALMOST SEPTEMBER!


Will someone please figure out how to make the rain stop so I can get past 26 minutes? Because really, do you actually want me to attempt to complain more? You don't want that.

BJ Thomas is not affiliated with this blog in any way.

No comments: