Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I'm sorry, could you just pick that up for me, please?


I may have tried to progress too far. I took a new path Monday night, and as you may remember, it's been quite a while since I've run on anything but the elliptical. This new route was a bit more scenic, a little more residential. There seemed to be zillions of runners out with me, giving me the nod, "way to be, welcome to the club." I was humming along, thinking about how fascinating it is to be part of this crazy cult, these people who get a high from doing this. And then I pretty much had a coronary.

WHAT THE?!? "Excuse me, sir? Yes, that on the ground over there--it's my heart. It seems to have burst forth from my chest. Do you mind? Thanks. Lemme just put that back..."

The culprit? This:

Good grief, it felt like that anyway. You have GOT to be kidding me with this hill business. I am not so naive that I don't understand running on an incline takes more effort, more aerobic work. However, I was pretty blind to the fact that even a slight grade would make me stroke out. My heart was beating so hard that I was certain you could see it thumping cartoonishly, even if I was wearing a parka.

It occurs to me that the path between the stadium and campus has its share of hills. I cannot help but hope that my running class, which starts Thursday, addresses this issue. Stretching suddenly seems to be a problem, too. My quads are pretty sore from the additional stress, and I really have to do a better job at warming them up. I'd try to fit yoga in my schedule if I thought I had an ounce of time to do it.

So, for the first day back, the unimpressive tally:
14 minutes walking (10 warm-up, 4 cool down)
24 minutes running--the hills, people. I couldn't make it to 26...

Tonight and Tomorrow are pretty much out, but I'm terribly excited for class on Thursday. Wish me luck, and warm muscles!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't let yourself get discouraged. Getting back into the groove of things is always difficult, but you'll find yourself regaining ground quickly enough, especially when the running class comes around. Keep at it!